Director of Development
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Manager of Institutional Giving, Development Associate
Responsible for planning and implementing strategies to meet or exceed the contributed revenue goals of the organization; provides leadership and day-to-day management for Orpheus’ development-related programs and staff; and serves as the chief organizational link to all major gift activity for the organization.
Development Strategy and Oversight of Annual Giving
- In conjunction with Executive Director, design and implement a comprehensive strategy for strengthening and expanding annual fund and major gift programs in alignment with institutional priorities
- Work with team, the Board of Trustees, and Development Committee to implement annual and major giving plan and analyze progress
- Coordinate, research, and strategize key meetings and correspondences between the Executive Director, Board Chairman, and major prospects and donors
- Approve all solicitation and invitation materials
- Work with the Executive Director and Board Chairman to cultivate, solicit, and steward Board members for annual and special gifts
- Oversee growth, maintenance, and enhancement of the organization’s development database and donor/prospect list as well as donor communication calendar including direct mail, email campaigns, invitations, and solicitations
- Plan and implement cultivation strategies (e.g. annual fund drives/challenges) to motivate donors and maintain a high level of constituency satisfaction through stewardship, recognition, and engagement
- Work closely with Development and Marketing teams to position Young Orpheus membership group and develop cross-departmental strategy
- Oversee and set direction for portfolio of foundation, government, and corporate donors
- Work closely with Manager of Institutional Giving to cultivate current and prospective institutional funders and develop proposals
- Spearhead collaboration with program and finance staff on proposals to new funders
Special Events and Patron Events
- Work with Executive Director and Development Committee to develop special event strategy and identify key partners and concepts (Opening Night and annual spring Gala)
- Oversee execution of special event logistics
- Plan and oversee implementation of patron events for Board, Orpheus Society, Young Orpheus, and other groups, both in NYC and in cities where Orpheus tours
- Lead and supervise the work of the Development team.
- Responsible for oversight of Departmental expense budget
- Serve as staff liaison to the Development Committee and Governance Committee
- Represent Orpheus and support team at concerts and events
- 5-plus years demonstrated experience and success in the field of fundraising and major gift development
- Commitment to the mission and values of the organization and the ability to work collaboratively with a small team
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and organizational problem-solving skills
- Ability to raise funds, write grant proposals, plan events, and build relationships
- Knowledge of Spektrix or other development software such as Raiser’s Edge, Donor Perfect, Tessitura, etc.
- Knowledge of or background in classical music
- Some travel may be required
Orpheus is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and salary expectations to email@example.com with Director of Development in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Patron Engagement and Insights Assistant
Reports to: Manager of Marketing & Communications
The Orpheus Chamber Orchestra seeks an organized, data-driven, collaborative Patron Engagement and Insights Assistant with excellent communication skills, and the ability to build and foster customer relationships. The ideal candidate has experience with Customer Relations Management services or ticketing events, (we use Spektrix) income and expense tracking, and is confident running reports and managing data. People skills are a must, as this position is the first point of contact for our patrons and you will also represent Orpheus at our New York concerts and fundraising events.
A general knowledge of email marketing, website maintenance, graphic design, social media and a love of classical music are all plusses but not requirements.
· Subscription servicing, including the monitoring of sales initiatives and the administration of subscriber benefits
· Process and fulfill all subscription orders in Spektrix CRM system
· Fulfill subscription ticket exchanges, donations, and additional purchases
· Communicate with Carnegie Hall and 92Y Box Offices
· Handle VIP ticketing for board members, donors, and subscribers
· Oversee research and pitch Group Sales prospects for each Carnegie concert, coordinate ticketing
· Coordinate complimentary tickets, and ticket giveaways
Income and Expense Tracking
· Track earned income revenue from subscriptions and single tickets
· Provide information for and participate in regular income and expense reconciliations with Finance department
· Track Marketing Department expenses and process invoices
· Contribute to the creation of marketing budgets
Marketing Data & Insights
· Create weekly Spektrix reports to measure customer activity
· Organize and segment existing customer data
· Analyze data collected from targeted ad campaigns
· Maintain patron records
· Attend events throughout the season, representing Orpheus in an official capacity, assisting with ticketing and patron services.
· Liaise with Spektrix IT support
· This position works in close collaboration with the Manager of Marketing & Communications and will be required to assist with marketing and ticketing tasks as assigned.
This is a full-time position requiring hours M-F 9:30am-5:30pm. Starting annual salary is $40,000. Orpheus is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Patron Engagement and Insights Assistant” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Reports to: Director of Development
Orpheus Chamber Orchestra seeks a full-time Development Associate as an essential member of its Development team. Working closely with the Director of Development and the Manager of Institutional Giving, the Development Associate is responsible for maintaining all development records, including information on donors, gift entry, and data analysis to ensure the department’s accurate and efficient function. Assistance in preparation of annual fundraising appeals via letter and email, as well as tracking fulfillment of membership benefits are also included in this position. The position presents a unique opportunity for a candidate with career arts administration interest to contribute to a broad range of development department functions.
· Assist with execution of Annual Gala, Opening Night, salon events, and other unique cultivation opportunities
· RSVPs: Manage event responses to keep accurate guest lists and donor attendance at events
· Invitations and Mailing: pull and manage invitation lists for all events, email/mail invitations and reminders, print in-house when applicable. Coordinate with mail house, designers, and vendors as needed
· Track membership benefit fulfillment for individual and institutional donors
· Draft acknowledgement letters to all donors within one week of gift receipt
· Follow-up with new or upgrading members to inform of benefits/invitations
Database & Operations
· Maintain and manage database to ensure accurate recording of donor information, gifts, appeals, and event attendance
· Analyze donor information as needed for cultivation, mailings, and events
· Coordinate with finance department to prepare regular reporting, monitor department financial goals and progress to date; ensure within budget;
· Assist in managing and executing process for targeted appeals with Individual giving programs, including preparation of materials, donor list management, and mailings
Collaborative, self-motivated team player with excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills and attention to detail. A successful candidate will demonstrate flexibility to accommodate changing priorities and the ability to apply strategic understanding of Orpheus’ existing and developing programs.
B.A. or equivalent and demonstrated interest in working in a nonprofit development or arts administrative office required.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Spektrix, Raisers Edge, or similar database preferred.
Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
Background in classical music is a plus.
Orpheus is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
Orpheus is committed to creating a diverse environment and strongly encourages applications from women, minorities, and people with disabilities.
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.